Thursday, July 29, 2010

Butterick 5450

Is it gone? Do you still see them? I'm trying to put those shorts behind me, and thanks to those who were brave enough to say NAY. You were all right. I've moved on, and made a new summer dress, Butterick 5450. The pattern claims to be Fast & Easy, and yes it is. Only, I'm a notoriously slow sewer.

So, what do y'all think?
I did make a muslin of the bodice (well, the lining anyway), and made a small sway back adjustment. And, while I cut out a 14 for the top, I morphed it into the 16 for the waist and hips. I love the way it fits! I also moved the zipper from the side seam to the back and used an invisible one, and gave the dress a full lining because 100% cotton just kind of sticks. To legs, to cotton underwear. Is that TMI? Anyway, I used a bemberg lining that I had prewashed, so the whole thing is washable. Yay!

Oops, looks a little wrinkled. Forgot to say that I added an inch to the length, too. Forgive those glaringly white legs. I think I need a PSA at the beginning of the post reminding people to wear sunglasses when looking at these pictures.

Do you notice the stripes? Kyle says there is an elegance in the mismatching, and I'm going with that.

Beyond that, I think I'll be wearing this dress a lot, and I think it will be a great transitional piece to wear into the fall.
By the way, when I wore it yesterday, I wore the wedges in the "fall" picture instead of the sandals. I just liked that look better. My next project is a vintage shirt dress, and the fabric I chose has stripes. Wildly uneven stripes. What WAS I thinking?!

5 comments:

  1. I like the dress. I found it even more appealing when you added the black cardi, belt and black heels. I like how you find several ways to wear one garment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great dress. It skims your body, exactly as a garment should. I would make this dress over and over, making it a TNT and changing details.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a nice dress and really suits you! The colour is gorgeous and you are right in that it is a perfect dress for summer but will also look wonderful in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a pretty dress!!! I love the fabric and color on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great dress for you. I love this pattern/dress because it can be worn year round, dressy or casual. I found your blog via Pattern Review..I'm sewing this dress in a matter of days and I'm a newby to sewing. Thanks for your review, it helps a beginner sewer like me:)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails