But. I won the pattern in a blog giveaway from Miss Snug Bug, and well, I did feel a small obligation to make it then. I mean, I try to only enter giveaways for things I want, and not just to enter and win stuff (ok, I did that once, and I actually won... oops... it wasn't a sewing blog). So, I bought a gorgeous blue gray cotton linen blend, and made the first muslin in March. Then it lingered. Then I made another muslin, I think in May. OK, come ON. It was time to make the thing.
I'm going to show you the pictures and then give some observations.
- Construction-wise, its a beginner pattern.
- I'm different sizes on the top and bottom, so fit-wise, there are issues.
- Colette patterns are uniformly too wide across the chest (above the bust) for me.
- This stiff-ish fabric makes the sleeves stick out too much. I shortened them a little, and could have done with a smidge more.
- I had a heckuva time with the bust darts. I seem to remember Gertie covering this a lot during her sew along, and I should have gone back to see what she said.
- I had to do a huge sway back adjustment. Should have done more.
- The top is just not flattering on me. I'm too short waisted (or something) for that wide belt look.
- Not sure the butter yellow was the right choice.
- Linen is scratchy. I did underline the top, but should have made the facings out of a softer cotton.
- I used a catch stitch to anchor the facings to the underlining.
- I used a catch stitch to anchor the waist seam (covered with bias tape, but not folded over).
- I made the pockets out of voile.
- I wore a half slip for my skirt "lining".
- The wrap coverage is GREAT!
- The neckline needs something.
- The back darts are too far apart, and are in a weird place on me.
- I shortened the dress about an inch and a half (if I remember correctly).
- I'm not one for a big bow in the back (or even knot) and besides, no one in my house can do a good bow (but me), and my arms just don't bend that way.
- Gave it a test run today, and didn't feel too wrinkled.
- Wearability Index: 7
All told, while it's not my favorite dress, I do like it, and if my weight loss plan actually works this time, I can just wrap it tighter.