Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Don't Let This Happen to You

I've admitted it before, but although I've been sewing since there were dinosaurs, I've only put in one invisible zipper. This pink dress (aka the dress that is taking forever, but shouldn't really) has an invisible zipper and I tackled it today. It took way longer than was really necessary.

Try #1: Looked great, but the waistband seams didn't match up very well, and one side didn't seem sewn close enough to the zipper teeth.

Fix: Resew the one side, making sure the teeth were properly in the groove of my zipper foot. Ponder ripping out the other side to make the seams match up better.

OK. I just couldn't stand it, and I ripped it out and redid it. But:


I'm not sure if you can tell in the picture, but the resewn side is twisted, and while it appears to be sewn on correctly, when you get down to the pull you, um, can't close the zipper. There is no fix for this but to rip it out again. First, you must go eat lunch. Walking away helps.


Now it's right. Untwisted and resewn. The moral of this story: When sewing the second side of an invisible zipper, make sure it's flat all the way down and does not get twisted.

2 comments:

  1. I have put in many invisible zippers. And I still twist the second side up about half the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never tried an invisible zipper and used this tutorial which was great: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzVLRsoOVzY

    I know you're done with your dress, but at least you can have it handy for next time. Great dress! Oh, I voted go shoe shopping only because I didn't know if you had accessories to go with the green. If you have green accessories, I'd go with the green - what a fun combination!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails