Wednesday, January 16, 2013

It's Out of the Oven! Tiramisu -- Done!

That title should probably say, Tiramisu Version 1... done! Yes, I will make more (or at least one more in the very near future).

I've been following along with the sew along, and probably averaging 30 minutes a day, but just haven't managed to sew every day. You do what you have to do, right? Initially in the sew along, I was ahead of the game, but once the actually sewing commenced, I was a couple of days behind, and that proved to be beneficial, because I was prepared for some tweaking that I may have to do. As it turned out, I ended up having some major tweaking of that underbust seam, and spent about 2 hours Sunday morning getting it right. Well, almost right, but right enough that my next version will have a cleaned up pattern piece and should, fingers crossed, work right off the bat.

So. Pictures. With commentary beneath them. And at least a couple will be posted to the Tiramisu flickr group.

  •  Black, but my work uniform color. A cotton knit from
  • It's a top. Duh. I had about a yard of this knit, so that's all I could get, and I'm fine with that. Some of y'all might call it a wearable muslin, but I hate that term so let's just go with version 1.
  • I cut out the 35C with a 35 waist.
  • Ended up raising the underbust seam of the bodice about an inch in the center to about 2 inches at the sides.
  • The gathers worked better for me in the center. That was deliberate and not a mistake.
  • I haven't done the actual checking, but the top of the midriff piece ended up cut at about the size 30, grading out to the 35 at the natural waist.
  • ACK! I have red hair now! When did that happen? ;)
  • After seeing these pictures I might go back to bangs.
  • Oh, the top. There is one issue with the neck binding that is a mistake on my part. Will be rectified with the next version.
  • Because I had to raise the underbust seam, I had to shorten the edge of the front sleeve. It worked, but in version 2, I'll shorten the back sleeve edge and lengthen the front to make them proportional again.
  • It basically means that it feels a little weird in the armpit area, but doesn't look bad. Only I will know that.
  • I'm debating on narrowing the midriff band about half an inch.
  • Ultimately, I think it will work better as a dress. It definitely needs the weight of the skirt to pull the bodice into the proper place. Scroll down a bit for my solution.
  • Back shot. Um, there will be a little tweaking. Yep, I do see the drooping of the top midriff seam.
  • Ah, yes, the belt. This is how I'll wear it probably 100% of the time. And even though we have to wear all black at work, we're allowed to have a little fun with accessories.


  1. I wouldn't have thought of making this as a top, but it works so well. It's really very lovely.

  2. It definitely works best with the belt! Now that you have worked out all the details, you are ready to go for a full dress. I agree that the weight of a skirt would help keep the bodice down. Your belt solution looks good, though.

  3. Love your version better than the original, also peplums are in fashion, even better. Like your new hairstyle.

  4. I think it looks great as a top, esp. with the belt to break up the black-on-black. :)

  5. I think it makes a stylish and comfortable black top (perfect for work! I love wearing jersey at work), and I like that all the gathers are centered. I especially love your fabulous red hair!

  6. I agree-it does make a great top. Or, could be lengthened to the floor. I'm a redhead, so of course I love your red hair!

  7. that's nice, even though you have some "fixable" issues, aka, lessons disguised as design features.

  8. Very nice dress and a great fit too!

  9. I'm sending your blog some lovely awards. You can pick them up on my blog if you want them.

    I love that you made this dress into a top. I think it works well.



Related Posts with Thumbnails