Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Hummingbirds Complete

The Hummingbird Sew Along is continuing on its steady pace, as I pop in now and then to check up on the goings on, and then make my green top and "orange"* skirt on my own. *the "orange" refers to the style of skirt on the pattern, a la "view B", and obvs not the actual color of skirt that I made.

Here ya go:

The top is super easy to make. Except when you choose a lovely, but soft and tissue-like jersey that was like sewing with kleenex. You can't see it in the picture, but my top stitching around the neck and sleeve bindings is terrible. I used my coverstitch machine, which I clearly need to practice with way more.

I hemmed the peplum, using my regular machine, replacing the regular needle plate with a straight stitch needle plate which helped immensely!

For the skirt, I had originally planned to use some blue twill from my stash. As I just washed it today, that obviously didn't happen. What did happen was that I was perusing my closet, came upon a dress that I made 2 years ago, but rarely wear because I hate the bodice. But I love the fabric, the floral border print you see above.

The dress:
The full skirt provided an ample amount of fabric, but I did need to cut upper front side piece from some saved scraps. Bonus... it was already hemmed!

And so this happened:
(I tucked the top in, so that you can see the skirt better.) I did fall smack in between the 40 and the 45, so I went, as advised, with the 45. When I did the try on, first pinning, then basting, I ended up with an 1-1/4" seam allowance (about 1-1/2" at the waist. I'll adjust my pattern pieces accordingly, keeping in mind that my twill has no stretch, and my hopefully soon to acquire black ponte knit might have a little more.

Oh, and I think I would like just a smidge more length when I make this version.

7 comments:

  1. What a wonderful summer skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize at first this was a refashion, really really nice work, I love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This fabric is gorgeous! I am so pleased you were able to refashion it and give it new life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Giving new life to something you never wear is the best way to use a terrific fabric :) Great skirt and top!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great way to use that gorgeous fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  6. NIce refashion! I have a few experimental garments which need your expertise. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the re-fashion to a straight skirt.
    Good save.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails