Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Wilma on Wednesday -- Spicy Fiesta Chicken

I went back into the main dish section of Grandma's cookbook and decided on Spicy Fiesta Chicken. Full disclosure: I actually gave her this recipe. Who knows when, but I got it from one of my Southern Living Cookbooks. So I've made it before, but it has been a long time. Also, since it's kind of "my" recipe, I took some liberties, which I'm trying not to do to Grandma's originals.


First the recipe. I've put in italics next to the ingredients any changes that I made on Sunday.


Spicy Fiesta Chicken


6 boneless chicken breasts (I used only 3)
4 eggs, beaten (used only 1)
1/4 cup green chili salsa (I used Pace Picante Sauce, Medium)
1/4 tsp salt (left this out)


Combine eggs, salsa and salt in a shallow bowl and set aside.


2 cups fine bread crumbs (I used 3/4 to 1 cup)
2 tsp chili powder (1 tsp)
2 tsp ground cumin (1 tsp)
1-1/2 tsp garlic salt (I used about 1 tsp garlic powder, + a little salt)
1/2 tsp ground oregano (left this out)


Combine dry ingredients
Melt 1/4 cup butter in 13 x 9 pan (I used 2 TBSP in a 8 x 8. Melt it in the oven while it's preheating)


Dip chicken in dry ingredients, then egg mixture, and then back in the dry ingredients. Place in pan and bake at 375 deg. F for 30-35 minutes, turning once.


Serve with sour cream on each chicken breast, placed on a bed of lettuce with fresh green onions, cherry tomatoes and avocado. (Just used the sour cream. You will notice in the picture, all those pretty vegetables and garnishes were not used.)




Do you ever make one of those meals, that when it's served up you say, "wow! That's a brown meal!"?


Moving on... it was delicious. I served it with some ready made 90 sec microwave Uncle Ben's Spanish rice and Ranch Style Beans.



Ranch Style Beans are one of those foods that I ate as a child, and they always make me think of childhood dinners. They are different than southern baked beans. The yummy kind made with brown sugar and other great ingredients.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails