Monday, September 12, 2011

Vintage Simplicity 6385 and the SSS 11 Weekend Roundup #2

Today, I've got a full post because I want to tell you about the making of Vintage Simplicity 6385, the shift dress that I wore yesterday. Let's start there and work backwards, 'k.


September 11


Yesterday was the debut of my version of S6385. I bought this pattern recently when I lucked out with a bounty of vintage patterns. This one is missing 2 pieces: the back and armhole facings, both of which you can either recreate, or just do without, using bias binding. It's also missing the peter pan collar piece, but I didn't care about that anyway. Not sure if you can see, but this is a size 12, bust 32, and the copyright is 1966. I'm, however, not a bust 32, so let's see what I did.


After tracing the original, it was time to grade up, but I decided to do a tissue fitting first. Turns out, that across the chest, I didn't really need to do anything except lengthen by about an 1". The rest, I needed to add width.
The black line sort of represents the original, the red, the changes that I made (very roughly). Starting from the top, I lowered the neckline, narrowed the shoulder, and lengthened about an inch. For the back, I did the same, but did not change the back neckline. From there, I added overall width, and shortened the length. I made a muslin, and ended up not needing quite as much width as originally thought.


I drafted new neckline facings, both front and back, and opted for bias binding for the armholes. And I eliminated the ruffles.


The result:


The fabric is a stretch cotton shirting from fabric.com. AAnnnddd, it's a shift. Not too exciting, but actually a dress that really fits into my lifestyle. Here's a back view:
Yep, that's how I look from the back. With a little more styling, the look improves. I really like it with a belt, and I had on a wooden bead necklace earlier, but at some point must have taken it off.
I'm not sure if I'm a jumper girl, but I think it could even work as it got colder with a turtleneck, tights and boots.


For the rest of Self Stitched September weekend roundup, Friday and Saturday looked like this:
September 9



Top: New Look 6981
                     Skirt: Sewaholic Crescent
Shoes: a replacement for the bad Target shoes.

I wore this outfit for a road trip south to Macon to deliver some "fancy" clothes to Kyle who has pledged a fraternity and needed his suits and dress shirts for the Wednesday night meetings. It's a comfortable outfit, that is also presentable. The skirt is a rayon that doesn't wrinkle much.

September 10
Top: Vogue 8392 (made from a Liberty for Target scarf)
Shorts (my grandmother would have called these peddle pushers):
                             Talbots
Shoes: Clarks Indigo

This was an errand running morning, all leading up to a sewing and college football watching afternoon/evening. Kind of dorky, but I like to wear team colors (red and black!) and this outfit fit the bill. I've got the red in the earrings. Sadly, it didn't help us win. 

4 comments:

  1. oooooooo! I REALLY LOVE THIS ON YOU! Where's the ruffle! MUST SEE ONE WITH RUFFLE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shifts are so useful. Yours looks terrific - great job on the alterations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the Simplicity shift. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All look super cute, but let's be honest.. you will never wear a turtleneck under that jumper! Choking! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails