Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Wilma on Wednesday Talks about Light Cooking

After those recent posts about losing weight, I couldn't really post a recipe for oatmeal raisin cookies, could I? Well, they are healthy aren't they? Oatmeal? Raisins?


The original Wilma, though she made recipes that might not be considered light, never really had a concern with her weight. Perhaps because, born in 1912, she was in her late teens during the depression, she was always very frugal, and cooked and ate in moderation. Also, my grandpops, Jerry, had diabetes, so she cooked with his diet in mind, as well. Desserts were only for special occasions, as was eating out.
Wilma (age 61) and Jerry in 1973


Moderation. Portion control. Cooking at home. Not really novel concepts, but some that I try to embrace.


So, me. Writer of the blog, and passer-on-er of Wilma's recipes. I get most of my inspiration from Cooking Light. Even when I worked for Weight Watchers, my favorite recipes come from Cooking Light. Generally, I hated everything I tried from the WW cookbooks and magazines. I don't know why, but they just seemed tasteless to me.


And there are some things I just naturally always do, whether I'm trying to lose weight or not. Like I never buy full fat dairy. OK, maybe not never, but 98% of the time. I buy reduced fat versions. And Greek yogurt! I'm a huge fan. Let's see... I love vegetables, and fruit. Also, more fish and chicken, than beef and pork.


Do you want a recipe? I didn't take a picture of it, but it looks like chicken soup with black beans. I rarely make up recipes, but the stars lined up, and Sunday, I made an awesome soup... let's call it the 


Giants Awesome Sunday Chicken Soup.


measurements are approximate, and not that critical
Leftover shredded chicken made using this recipe (about 1-1/2 cups)
About 1/2 a can of black beans (also leftover)
1/2 to 3/4 cups chopped onions
2 carrots, sliced thin
1 can of diced tomatoes (14 oz?... the regular size) I used the Hunts fire roasted diced tomatoes with garlic
1-1/2 to 2-1/2 cups of chicken broth
a couple of handfuls of baby spinach


Saute the onions in a bit of olive oil (a healthy oil) until they start to brown a little. Add the sliced carrots and saute them a couple of minutes. Dump in the tomatoes, chicken, beans, and broth (use enough broth to make it soupy). Let it simmer. Right before serving, toss in some baby spinach and stir until it wilts.


I hope this is right. I didn't write anything down, and just kind of dumped things in. Other possibilities might be red or green peppers, corn, whatever you like in vegetable soup. The shredded chicken and the beans are key, though.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Elle, this recipe sounds yummy. Both chicken and black beans are staples in this household.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails