Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Dog Sweaters

Hang tight... I'll have pictures of the "wedding dress" at the event itself in a couple of days, but these little sweaters have been waiting in the wings. A little back story... earlier this year I knitted sweaters for Laura and Thomas' 2 little puppies that were not going to get much bigger. Haha. Like any good rescue puppies, they turned out to be something a little different. And bigger. So now their adorable little sweaters looked like they were shrunk in the wash.


Fast forward to a freak snowstorm in October, and reports that the puppies hate cold weather, and I had to get busy. Too late for that storm, but they're ready now.


Basically, Laura sent me new measurements, and having traced a dog coat that my mom had for her little dog, I only had to "grade up" in length. It's a flat style with tabs that go around the neck and belly and velcro shut. I used a sweater knit scrap, interlock knit scraps and batting, giving them 3 layers of warmth. I basted the batting to the interlock, treating it as one piece, put right sides together of the interlock and the sweater knit, left a hole for turning, and stitched around the edge. Then I turned, topstitched to close the hole, and put a buttonhole near the neck for their leashes since they use harnesses. Like this:


I did sew the collar on separately, and I think it is upside down from the original tracing, but it works. You know, they're lots cuter ON the dogs. Hit it!
Sam modeling the sweater side, collar popped, and leash attached.

A good view of how the tabs go around the belly and neck.

Reversible. Looks like a little jailbird (jaildog?).

Ella with her collar popped, leash attached.

Close up of the buttonhole.

The reverse side of Ella's. She's thinking "do these stripes make me look fat?"

"Nah. I'd like a treat now, please. All this modeling has made me hungry."

8 comments:

  1. They are so cute in their new coats. Just in time for winter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute pups! And they look so great in their sweaters. My dogs like to wear sweaters when it's cold, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are too cute! Will you be selling them in your Etsy shop?

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. First, you have adorable dogs! Second, they look so great in these dog sweaters! I think I'll buy one for my puppy as well, because winter is here and it's cold outside. I want to find a warm and cozy dog sweater, because I have a sensible dog! I think I'll buy him some new dog collars as well, because I want to be assorted with the sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elle, the pup sweaters are awesome (so are you :D)!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails