Monday, August 9, 2010

Rainbow Around the Block

It's official. I'm obsessed with making quilt blocks today. Forget that darn shirtdress. On the latest round of "voting" most of you admitted to not liking the stripe. The blue is a lightweight linen, and I don't have enough to make the whole dress out of it, so it's back to the drawing board. For the record, I was pretty ambivalent about the stripe, so no hard feelings. I'm thinking a simple solid now.

But the quilt blocks! I can't remember which blog I discovered this project on, but it's a quilting project for the flood victims in Middle Tennessee spearheaded by Anna Maria Horner, an author, and fabric and pattern designer who lives in Nashville. Clicking on her name will take you to more information about this project. It's been going on all summer, but didn't really hit my radar screen until this weekend, and now I can't stop making these blocks!
I'm really having fun going through my scrap drawers, and trying to stick to the rainbow theme. I've got red, yellow, green and blue, and those pastel blocks so far. I'd love to make some orange blocks just for the Tennessee folks, but this Georgia girl's stash is woefully short on that particular color. I might be able to scrounge up enough for one block. This is my favorite so far:

Nashville has a particular place in our hearts now since Kyle has been attending Vanderbilt, and Laura and Thomas moved there after their wedding. Kyle was, in fact, in Nashville during the flooding, and true to 19 year old college boy style, when I called him to see if he was ok, and see if Vanderbilt had had any flooding, he was only barely aware that it had been raining! In fairness, it was the first weekend of finals, so he was probably studying. A mom can dream anyway! =)

Time is running out, as the final deadline for sending your blocks is September 1. Be sure to visit the Rainbow Around the Block flickr group for more inspiration!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this info about the quilts for Nashville. I live in the area, but hadn't heard about the project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are so nice! I like the blue/green one the best too--my favorite colors.

    I was in Nashville the weekend after the flooding and it was a horrible mess!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails