Thursday, July 28, 2011

Simplicity 2211 -- Put Me in the Zoo

I feel like I haven't done a lot of sewing lately, but I did manage to make the tunic top from Simplicity 2211, one of the lisette patterns.


I made view E which is the short sleeved version, and is shown on a live model on the front of the pattern. All along I was thinking, "Oh, what a cute button-front top." Imagine my dismay when I realized that it doesn't actually button. Those buttons are just decorations! Hmmm, somebody wasn't paying attention.


But first, have you read this book?
That's pretty much what I was thinking when I wore my new top today.
Seriously, though, I do kind of like it in spite of the fact that it doesn't actually button. Which is kind of a shame, because it's kind of hard to put on and take off.


So, do I hear you asking about the changes I made? Well, first off, I did a tissue fitting, and then had an epiphany! I should really give the FBA (full bust adjustment) a go. Amazingly, it made it fit so much better!! Go figure. FBA's are the subject of today's Sewaholic post, and Tasia provides lots of links about it, so I'm just going to link to her post.


Since this was my first FBA, it was not without issues. Can you guess the part that gave me the most problems?
If you said, "the darts", you would be so right. Don't ask me why I had so much trouble, but it did. I think practice will help with that.


Oh, and if you know the pattern, you will notice that I changed the sleeves. I just wasn't feeling the puffy sleeves, so I put in regular short sleeves (that I got off another pattern that I am too lazy to go look up the number), and put a cuff to help downplay the dots. The trim really helps with that zoo feeling.


Close up

I'm doing some "secret sewing" that I won't be able to reveal for awhile, but (and I can't believe I'm typing this) I am starting to think about fall.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Elle, I really really really like it!!! I've been tiptoeing around this pattern for months because of the puffed sleeves and lack of waist definition --- but your version is so fab that I may have to try it anyway. I did the FBA on the pattern front weeks ago and then just ignored the project. LOVE your sleeve solution, it's perfect. The color looks great on you too :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This top looks wonderful on you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute top, it looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your version and the different sleeves. I made one in a polka dot just like the cover and it was too short for me and the puff sleeves didn't do me any favors. I gave it to my sister.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails