Monday, March 1, 2010

Having a Fit over Fit

I've mentioned this book before, Fit for Real People, by Pati Palmer and Marta Alto, and I'm mentioning it again because it really has SO much great information for fitting patterns. I used to be a size where I could take a few measurements, pick a pattern, and go. Sadly, those days are over, and this book is helping. I'm ready to make this Butterick pattern.
 

But I purchased it before I had ready the book. Here was my mistake. I bought the pattern to fit my waist and hip which is completely contrary to the book's advice. "Buy to fit your top and alter the bottom." OR "Buy two patterns if necessary." When you see the hatchet job I did to the top pieces, you'll see that I should have just gone and bought the smaller pattern and saved myself tons of time. Here's the evidence:

 

And the sad thing is, I need to add just a bit more length to the whole darn thing. I discovered that after making a muslin. Unnecessary according to Pati and Marta, but I had chopped and taped so much, I decided I had better do just that.

It's really not that bad, but I'm going to do just a teeny bit more tweaking, including making it about an inch longer. I won't tell my friend that helped me though. I think she's decided I have lost my mind. Tomorrow, I'm cutting it out!

3 comments:

  1. I love that book - I use it all the time. I think that all your hard work with fitting this dress will be worth it in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that book too. And the Pants for Real People is my "go to" book every time I make pants.h

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails