Friday, July 23, 2010

Simplicity 2370 -- Yay or Nay?

I've made my denim shorts, and am kind of ambivalent about them. Are they a true wadder? Not really. Take a look:
So, maybe it's my hips I'm ambivalent about, but in this picture they (the shorts) don't look too bad. I did end up making 2 muslins, and thought they fit pretty well by the second one. One design change I made was to change the large, single pleat in the front to 2 narrower pleats, essentially using up the same amount of fabric, but spreading it out a bit. I'm not so sure it helped or made it worse.

Something I learned about making a muslin: when you aren't 100% sure about the size, go bigger. The biggest alteration I had to make was to shorten the length of the center crotch seam. I shortened the front center seam a whopping 1-1/2", and the back one 1/2". I probably should have shortened the front one even more, maybe 2".

There just seems to be too much fabric. Is it the pleats? The too long center seam? The width (which I narrowed, by the way, after I had finished them)?

One major mistake I made, and shouldn't have, was that I forgot to staystitch the upper edges of the front and back pieces. Does it really matter, you ask? Heck, yeah! I couldn't figure out why the waist had "grown" so much after seemingly fitting pretty well with the muslin. I finished these yesterday, and when I woke up this morning, the lightbulb went off. It has to be the staystitching. Duh. A beginner's mistake.

I did do a superb job inserting the invisible zipper, though. So well, that you couldn't even see it in the picture. The bad news about it is that it's a side zip, and I didn't want to rip it out to make the legs narrower (lazy me), so my post production alterations are somewhat limited. Oh, and I love the waistband/binding technique, primarily because I love a narrow waistband.

No matter what level your sewing skills are, there are always things to learn with each new project. And as much as I love to see the perfectly sewn garment, sewing bloggers, show me your mistakes and wadders as well, so that I can learn from them, too!

3 comments:

  1. It's so easy to be lazy, isn't it? I still have to sew up my pencil skirt! At least you finished these.

    I don't think of ruined projects as wadders. I think of them as donations. Perhaps they will be perfect on someone else?

    But I say nay. They look too big for you. (You wanted the truth, right?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how in the second picture, you're looking down like "Why is there so much fabric down there?!"

    I say nay because they look kind of big.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have such a cute figure and these hide it tremendously well. I say wad without looking back. BTW try fusing 1/2" or 5/8" strips of light weight knit interfacing along top of waistbands right after cutting out ... it helps even more than stay stitching and can be peeled off after waistband is sewn on, just don't stitch through it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails