Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Wilma on Wednesday Made a Shirt

... or is it a jacket? A shirt/jacket? I actually have a recipe ready so I'll post it tomorrow, but tonight I wanted to show you "the shirt". Vogue 1246. I'll even do a proper review.


Pattern Description: Very loose fitting shirt.


Pattern Sizing: 8-14. I made an 8 at the top, and a 10 along the sides.


Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?Mostly.


Were the instructions easy to follow?Yes, for the most part, with some exceptions.


What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?I love the artsy look. And I liked that the basic construction of the shirt is easy. I disliked how the instructions made some easy parts way harder than they needed to be. Basically, the mitering of corners is not that hard, but you wouldn't know that from the instructions. And the buttons on the sleeves. The instructions are unclear, the markings are in the wrong place on the tissue, and the picture doesn't match any of the words. After making 2 of the worst buttonholes I've ever made, probably in my history of sewing, I glanced at the line drawing on the back, and got the idea of how they were supposed to work. Well, it was too late. Mine look like the picture on the front.






Speaking of buttons... the large center button was in an ancient tin of buttons that originally belonged to my grandmother, and was what I designed the shirt around. For the sleeves, I ordered buttons from an extremely helpful Etsy seller, Sunny Buttons.


Fabric Used:An Italian iridescent cotton from Gorgeous Fabrics. This fabric is amazing to sew. And I interfaced the collar and facings which is not called for in the instructions.


Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:This pattern runs huge! I am normally a 14+. But I'm short, and I was worried that I would be swamped, so after reading reviews, and the measurements on the tissue, I did a tissue fitting, and ended up cutting an 8 at the top and sleeves, and a 10 along the sides. And I shortened the sleeves an inch, and the shirt 1-3/4".


Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?I will probably not make it again because it's kind of a one of a kind kind of shirt.


Conclusion: It looks best with skinny pants. Like my clovers.
On the cutting table... a denim pair of clovers.

5 comments:

  1. Elle, you look fantabulous!! I love the shirt, especially with the awesome Clovers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look great! I'm glad to see a version of that pattern made up because it keeps coming to the top of my to-do pile. The fitting info is very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a really cool shirt! Reminds me a bit of the Japanese patterns. It does look a bit artsy, but there is enough shape and waist definition to be flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The color and design are so elegant I am sure it will look great at holiday parties.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails