Just a quick post to show off my fabric for the vintage dress. Black taffeta may sound a bit... well, boring? Predictable? Hear me out.
So, here's the plan. I'm not really thinking of this as a "refashioning a skirt" idea (though you could make an argument for that), but rather a "here are two 51 inch wide by 39-1/2 inch long pieces of fabric" idea. A dress with the skirt part already made and hemmed. Well, at least partially hemmed. I did notice a safety pin lurking in the hem area. First, I'll cut off the waistband and remove the back zipper (hand-picked, by the way). I'll figure out how much length I'll need for the front and back bodice pieces. Then I'll cut off the bottom part for the skirt. I'm thinking I'll pleat the skirt instead of just gathering.
For the yoke/sleeve combo, I've got my fingers crossed that this tulle I bought from Gorgeous Fabrics will work. (Mine has black dots, but I haven't taken a pic.)
And, I'm really hoping that this will actually happen. Life, as it so often does, has gotten a little messy at the moment. Now that the bodice is fitted though, I don't think the construction will take me that long. Oh, yeah, I still need to buy some black lining. There's that. And maybe buy a belt buckle. That's on Friday's agenda at the moment.