Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Sequins by the 24th

Have you ever sewn with sequins? I've used sequin trim, but I don't think I've ever done anything with a sequin covered tulle-ish kind of fabric. And I'm on a deadline! Tomorrow, I'm off on a huge adventure to hang out with 8 wonderful artists I've met on Etsy, but never in person. I'll try to update while I'm there, but we may just be having too much fun to turn on computers!

When I get back, I'll have about 5 days to make a dress for a fundraiser Roland and I are attending on the 24th. The dress code is "fun and festive", and I turned to Colette Patterns for what I'm hoping is the perfect dress. I've started a muslin, and finished the bodice to discover some sleeve/shoulder adjustments need to be done, and I'm simply out of time. Anyway, here's the fabric. Feel free to leave sequin sewing tips... I'm gonna need them!

5 comments:

  1. Isn't there a special foot for sewing sequins? I alter a dress for a prom girl last spring and broke three needles in the process. Good thing I really liked her (lol).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read that you must hand-pick the sequins from the seams.

    At any rate, gorgeous colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are the sequins sewn on, or adhesive? If they are sewn, start with a fresh needle, and sharpen the tip often using the strawberry at the end of a pin cushion. You may also want ot remove them from the seam allowances. If they use an adhesive, be prepared with a bowl of rubbing alcohol and a cotton ball. You will need to use that to clean the residue off of the needle,about every 6 to 10 inches of sewing, so the thread will continue to run through the eye of the needle. Otherwise it will keep breaking on you. Also, if it is adhesive, I recommend pinking the seams, instead of using a serged seam. The surger is 10 times as hard to clean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have any tips or hints (never sewn with sequins myself), but I think your fabric/pattern choice is gorgeous! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never sewn with sequins, but my sewing teacher in high school did. I remember her using masking tape on the raw edges to keep the sequins from unraveling off.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails